NEW MIXED USE BUILDING
Location: Redwood City, CA
Architect: The Kastrop Group, Inc.
Structural Engineer: OAK Structural
Contractor: South Bay Construction
This project is in the heart of Redwood City's downtown theatre district. The existing building, built in 1917, housed the first movie theatre in Redwood City -- the Sequoia Theatre. Sadly, the building had been abandoned for the last 10 years.
The Kastrop Group teamed up with the property owners to convert the building into a two-story multi-use retail/office building with an architectural character in-sync with the Redwood City Downtown Precise Plan and respectful of the building's heritage.
Complicating factors included preserving the grandfathered non-compliant parking and adding accessibility features including an elevator that was built off-site and craned into place.